By downing the Seawolves in its season finale, UC Davis will carry a 10-12 record into this year's Big West Women's Tennis Championship. Also competing in its final match of the season, Sonoma State ends the 2012-13 season with a 15-10 mark.
"I was proud of the way everyone played because the team worked really hard in practice all week," said Davidson reflecting on the Aggies' final match of the season. "I though everyone played with confidence, but not too much confidence since Sonoma State is a tough team."
Curry and Edles were the first to finish their doubles match, defeating the Seawolves' Lauren Ha and Sheena Johnson 8-2 to start UC Davis' day on a positive note.
Once Davidson and her doubles partner, Melissa Kobayakawa, secured an 8-5 score in their match over Megan White and Lauren Shafer, the Aggies officially took a 1-0 overall lead and forced an early ending to the doubles match involving Nicole Koehly and Layla Sanders.
Koehly and Sanders were leading 7-4 against Sara Celma and Chloe Jolliff when action was halted.
Once the singles round commenced, it was Koehly that doubles UC Davis' lead when her opponent, Ha, retired at the end of the first set - one that Koehly captured by a 6-2 score.
When Edles and Kobayakawa earned 6-1, 6-2 and 6-0, 6-1 wins over White and Johnson respectively, the Aggies recorded the four team points needed to officially end their season in victorious fashion.
Shortly thereafter, Davidson walked off her court with a 6-1, 6-2 triumph over Shafer; Curry ended the Aggies' afternoon by earning a 7-6 (5), 6-1 victory against Johnson.
Every UC Davis singles victory over Sonoma State was earned in straight sets.
Said Davidson following the match regarding her final home match as an Aggie, "Today was so much fun, I just wanted to enjoy the experience because I am so proud to represent UC Davis."
UC Davis 6, Sonoma State 1
April 20, 2013, at Davis, Calif.
(Marya Welch Tennis Center)
1. Nicole Koehly/Layla Sanders (UCD) vs. Sara Celma/Chloe Jolliff (SSU) 7-4, unfinished
2. Ellie Edles/Lauren Curry (UCD) def. Lauren Ha/Sheena Johnson (SSU) 8-2
3. Melissa Kobayakawa/Zoe Davidson (UCD) def. Megan White/Lauren Shafer (SSU) 8-5
1. Sara Celma (SSU) def. Layla Sanders (UCD) 6-4, 3-2, retired
2. Ellie Edles (UCD) def. Megan White (SSU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Lauren Curry (UCD) def. Chloe Jolliff (SSU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
4. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Sheena Johnson (SSU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Nicole Koehly (UCD) def. Lauren Ha (SSU) 6-2, retired
6. Zoe Davidson (UCD) def. Lauren Shafer (SSU) 6-1, 6-2
Match Notes: Sonoma State University 15-10; UC Davis 10-12
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,2,4,1,6,3)