April 26, 2013
INDIAN WELLS, Calif. - Advancing to the quarterfinals of the Big West Women’s Tennis Championships in Indian Wells, Calif., after defeating UC Riverside in the opening round, UC Davis was unable to advance past No. 45 Long Beach State Friday morning as the Aggies fell 4-0 to the 49ers.
The tournament’s No. 7 seed, UC Davis ends its season with an 11-13 overall record while Long Beach State, the defending Big West champions and event's No. 2 seed improves to 19-3.
After winning another match to earn the doubles point, Long Beach took the first three singles matches to reach the four-win threshold to earn one of four spots in the semifinals.
The loss also closes a season that saw the Aggies finish with an 11-13 overall record and 4-5 mark in league play. In addition to splitting its eight home matches, UC Davis earned five road victories, including wins over two nationally-ranked teams in San Jose State and Sacramento State.
That victory was the Aggies' first over their Causeway rival since March 31, 2000, a match that ended in UC Davis' favor by a 7-2 result.
No. 3 UC Santa Barbara downed No. 6 Cal State Northridge 4-1, No. 4 Hawai’i defeated Cal State Fullerton 4-1 and top-seeded UC Irvine blanked Pacific 8-0 to complete the field of semifinalists.
Big West Tennis Championships
Indian Wells Tennis Garden (Indian Wells, Calif.)
(2) Long Beach State 4, (7) UC Davis 0
1. Unden/Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Sanders/Koehly (UCD) 8-4
2. Malenovska/Cantlay (LBSU) def. Edles/Pham (UCD) 8-6
3. Jeczmionka/Willems (LBSU) vs. Kobayakawa/Heneghan (UCD) unfinished
1. Ebba Unden (LBSU) def. Megan Heneghan (UCD) 6-2, 6-3
2. Klaudia Malenovska (LBSU) def. Layla Sanders (UCD) 6-2, 6-1
3. Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) def. Ellie Edles (UCD) 6-1, 6-2
4. Anna Jeczmionka (LBSU) vs. Lauren Curry (UCD) unfinished
5. Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) vs. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) unfinished
6. Anne-Sophie Willems (LBSU) vs. Nicole Koehly (UCD) unfinished
Match Notes: Long Beach State 19-3; UC Davis 11-13
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (2, 3, 1)
UC Davis falls to San Jose State
Aggies head to San Jose State for next dual match
Aggies shut out UC Irvine, 7-0
Women's tennis edges Cal State Fullerton
Women’s tennis hosts two conference matches
Breisacher named women's tennis
HERO of the Week