April 28, 2012
INDIAN WELLS, Calif. - The No. 2 seed UC Davis women's tennis team had its Big West Championship run come to an abrupt end, falling in a 4-0 upset to No. 3 UC Irvine on Saturday at Indian Wells Tennis Garden.
Following the first Big West postseason win in program history, the Aggies couldn't advance to the finals after falling in two doubles matches and three straight-set singles contests to the No. 72-ranked Anteaters. UC Davis closed out its season with a final 12-12 overall record while UC Irvine improved to 16-7.
The Anteaters secured the doubles point by winning in the top two positions, starting with an 8-2 victory for the team of Franziska Goettsching and Kristina Smith at the No. 2 spot over Megan Heneghan and Ellie Edles. Courtney Byron and Hannah Holladay added a win at the No. 1 position, defeating Kelly Chui and Layla Sanders, 8-3.
The Aggies couldn't get much going in singles play, falling in straight sets in the three matches that were completed. Nicole Koehly won three or more games in each set but dropped the first singles contest to Stephanie Hammel in the No. 6 position, 6-4, 6-3. Heneghan also battled in the No. 1 spot but ultimately was defeated by Smith, 6-4, 6-2. UC Irvine managed to complete the sweep, following a Sanders 6-0, 7-5 loss to Marivick Mamiit in the No. 5 position.
UC Davis finished its second consecutive season with a record of .500 or better. The Aggies also posted a 6-2 mark in Big West regular season play, tying the best league record in program history. UC Irvine advances to the finals where they will face the defending champions, No. 1 Long Beach State, tomorrow at 9 a.m.
No. 72 UC Irvine vs. UC Davis
Apr. 28, 2012 at Indian Wells, Calif.
(Indian Wells Tennis Garden)
Big West Championships - Semifinals
No. 3 UC Irvine 4, No. 2 UC Davis 0
1. Courtney Byron/Hannah Holladay (UCI) def. Kelly Chui/Layla Sanders (UCD) 8-3
2. Franziska Goettsching/Kristina Smith (UCI) def. Megan Heneghan/Ellie Edles (UCD) 8-2
3. Dahra Zamudio/Nicole Koehly (UCD) vs. Ali Facey/Kat Facey (UCI) DNF
Order of Finish: 2,1
1. Kristina Smith (UCI) def. Megan Heneghan (UCD) 6-4, 6-2
2. Dahra Zamudio (UCD) vs. Courtney Byron (UCI) DNF
3. Kelly Chui (UCD) vs. Franziska Goettsching (UCI) DNF
4. Lauren Curry (UCD) vs. Kat Facey (UCI) DNF
5. Marivick Mamiit (UCI) def. Layla Sanders (UCD) 6-0, 7-5
6. Stephanie Hammel (UCI) def. Nicole Koehly (UCD) 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 6,1,5
Aggies open Hawai'i road trip with third straight sweep
New first serve time for women's tennis match vs. UCSB
Women's tennis earns
second straight weekend sweep
Aggies host rare doubleheader this weekend
Aggies down Dons, 5-2,
sweep weekend duals