INDIAN WELLS, Calif. - Kristina Breisacher won the first set of her singles match during Friday's quarterfinal at the Big West Women's Tennis Championship by taking the tiebreaker, 7-5, Nikita Pradeep won the first set of her singles contest, 6-3, and was leading 2-1 in the second set, and Isabella von Ebbe held a 3-0 advantage in the second set, and was on her way to forcing a third set when play was halted after Long Beach State collected its fourth team point, and advanced to Saturday's semifinal by virtue of a 4-0 result against the Aggies.
Even though UC Davis' season ended at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden, the site of this year's league playoffs, women's tennis enjoyed one of its most successful seasons in recent history. By finishing with a 15-10 overall record, the Aggies posted their second-highest win total since joining the Big West Conference before the start of the 2007-08 season.
Long Beach State improved to 17-5 and will face last year's tournament champion, UC Santa Barbara, tomorrow morning.
Friday's quarterfinal also marked the final appearance for Kamila Kecki and Samantha Martino, UC Davis' graduating seniors who competed at the No. 3 position during doubles play.
Led by first-year Aggie Pradeep and her 16 singles wins, five players won 10 or more singles matches throughout the 2017 spring season. By ending the year with victories in six of her last seven played, von Ebbe posted 14 dual victories; Breisacher ended her first season at UC Davis with 13 wins; juniors Kristy Jorgensen and Jessie Lee each posted 10.
In doubles action, Jorgensen and Kelsie Bryant led all Aggie pairings with 10 victories, followed by Martino-Pradeep and Breisacher-von Ebbe's nine.
2017 Big West Women's Tennis Tournament
Long Beach State 4, UC Davis 0
April 28, 2017
Indian Wells Tennis Garden (Indian Wells, Calif.)
1. Maeva Razakasoa/Julie Gerard (LBSU) vs. Jorgensen, Kristy/Pradeep, Nikita (UCD) 5-4, unfinished
2. Lena Pacholski/Laura Eales (LBSU) def. Breisacher, Kristina/Green, Lani-Rae (UCD) 6-4
3. Maren Helgo/Natalia Munoz (LBSU) def. Martino, Samantha/Kecki, Kamila (UCD) 6-2
1. Maeva Razakasoa (LBSU) def. Jorgensen, Kristy (UCD) 6-0, 6-4
2. Julie Gerard (LBSU) def. Green, Lani-Rae (UCD) 6-0, 6-4
3. Lena Pacholski (LBSU) vs. Breisacher, Kristina (UCD) 6-7 (5-7), 3-0, unfinished
4. Maren Helgo (LBSU) vs. Pradeep, Nikita (UCD) 3-6, 1-2, unfinished
5. Natalia Munoz (LBSU) def. Lee, Jessie (UCD) 6-0, 6-0
6. Laura Eales (LBSU) vs. von Ebbe, Isabella (UCD) 7-6 (7-3), 0-3, unfinished
UC Davis 15-10
Long Beach State 17-5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (1,5,2)
Big West Women's Tennis Tournament Quarterfinals